Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Motherly Instinct...

it was wrong. And that's hard to swallow. Evalie has been sick for way too many days with a fever. Yesterday I was really starting to get worried. I had her Papa Jim and her dad give her a blessing. In the middle of the night she woke up because she had to go to the bathroom. I checked her and she was so hot. She had a temp up to 103.8. I was pretty worried. I called my mom to walk me through what process I needed to do to bring her temp down. After about an hour and her temp going up to 104.1. I felt I really really needed to take her in. I prayed about it and I kept feeling like I needed to go. I kept saying okay I'll check it again if its higher I'll go. It always was. I know thats not proper reasoning but I felt she needed to go. So I packed her up and took her into the ER. I always feel lame going into the ER because there's always people who are like dying and puking all around you and it makes you think your reason for being there is pathetic. Well by the time we got into our room Evalies fever had dropped down to 98.8, ugh. It was one of those bittersweet moments. All her vitals were great. After about 2 hours I asked if we could just go home. Maybe it wasn't my motherly instinct maybe it was adrenalin, either way it was unsatisfactory. The worst part is her temp. didn't break. It's back up to a roaring 102.8 this morning. Oh what to do.

Did I mention Jeff has the flu, and I have pink eye? Charlie had the flu but he's over it now. Dang flu shots, I knew I should have gotten them.

5 comments:

The Gang said...

We've had to many bad things happen with little ones in my family so I would rather be safe than sorry. That's just how I roll. :) Hope you guys feel better soon!

Melinda said...

I've been the same way with Abby. Quite a few times, in fact. Because you would rather be safe than sorry. Once her temp was 105 even with medicine to bring it down, and I took her to the ER and they used that forehead thermometer and it was 98 and I told them to please use a regular thermometer -- and it was 103 something.

But she's had fever spells like that so often in her life now, with the doctors always saying that it was a fever of unknown origin because - unlike with you right now where other people are actually sick - no one else in our family ever has been.

The thing is, though - you can't be sure with fevers. Some doctors tell you to go in if it's over 102, some say to wait three days and if it's still there then you should take them in, some say that if there are no other signs and it responds to alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen, then it is okay up to seven days. I have literally had doctors tell me all of the above. So don't be hard on yourself -- your instinct was to protect your child and help her get better. And even though the added ER bill is hard to swallow, at least you don't have any "what-ifs" hanging over your head, draining your energy away.

And the one thing about M.D.'s is, even though we rely on them for everything and society says to check with them before you use the wrong kind of kleenex tissue, they aren't sure either. Like with the allergies you're fighting with Evalee and Jeff. No one is 100% all the time. It's just good that it WASN'T something more! :-)

Child of God said...

Thanks Melinda.

Tyler & Rose-Ellen said...

Ugh i know the feeling. Dealing with sick kids is bad enough, but being sick as a mom is terrible and shouldn't be allowed. But fruitless trips to the ER are so annoying. Once over the summer i came out of the bathroom to find becca on the floor struggling to swallow something down, and when I pick her up she had a pill in one hand, and I was sure she had swallowed another pill. This was at her great-grandparents house, and when I called poison control they asked what she could have swallowed and I said "they're 90, it could be anything, like blood pressure meds, or nothing, like a piece of food.". They had us take her to the ER, and it was frustratingly stupid , we just hangout there for a few hours and she played and was fine. I felt a little better to call it a "precautionary overreaction". Hope you and the girls get to feeling better soon!

Rachel and Jason said...

Just cuz you get a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu. I found out today that I have the flu, and I had the flu shot this year... ugh. Sorry everyone feels crummy, hopefully good health comes back quickly for you guys!