“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Theodor Geisel (Dr. Suess)
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Homeless, anything helps...
I read this sign from an old man with a long speckled gray beard. A thick dark blue beanie on his head, gray dingy sweatshirt, probably in his late fifties. Around him is trash from fast food places and grocery stores. I am first in line at the stop light making a right hand turn so I see him and he see's me, face to face pretty much. I just finished grocery shopping at WinCo. I love WinCo. So much food for so much cheaper than anywhere else. I even was able to pick up a couple items for my food storage. Which, by the way, is turning out excellent. I see this man and I think, "is he being sincere. I don't believe it." All these thoughts running through my head. "He sure looks the role if he is truly homeless. " "I don't have to give him money, I could give him some oranges or bananas." "If he really is homeless why does he think this is the best way to make a living?" I can't think of any good reason not to give him food and I don't think of any good reason to give him food, so I take the turn and act as if I hadn't seen him. Then I thought about the poor and how am I serving them. Sure there are those that scam, but I don't think everyone scams. Living in Spokane this is a frequent dilemma. I am mixed with emotion every time I see a homeless person. Because I don't have much myself, but I have enough to give.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Well the only advice I can give is this. I remember hearing once I am pretty sure by a general authority to give if we can and not judge the one asking (do they really need it?, what are they going to spend the money on? ,etc). It's our job to help those in need no matter what they do with it. My mom always has some sort of canned food item in the car that way she can give food not money. Hope that helps.
I find that situation so awkward! I never know how to respond I have so many different emotions.
Yes I have the same problem. Especially since once I did give someone food and I happened to ask if they had food stamps and they said "yes, thanks anyway" and took the food. Their sign even said "hungry" on it. Gah! But I had a friend say once that it is our agency to give and their agency to use it however they want, so we still need to give. There is a guy in Moses Lake that I've seen more than once that just walks around and I bought him food once but I was too afraid to give it to him. I still have it. Mabe sometime...
Wendy, I know that guy. He won't take anything from you. The difference is that the people of Moses Lake try to take care of this man. They send him clothes, shoes, he has a place to stay, he has places to eat, people offer him rides. I don't think he considers himself homeless or needy, he just can't do anything different. He has OCD.
I also feel awkward with the situation. But Chad is very content with saying we pay a full tithing and a generous fast offering that if they really need food then they can go through different means.
I feel guilty, cause I can't imagine Christ treating anyone like that just because they may not know how to get help that way.
I feel like giving food is a good way and then let them use it. I don't keep much cash on hand anyway. But I love the idea of canned goods in your vehicle just for that.
Does anyone else feel weird about giving things away while having your kids in the car? Sometimes my imagination gets put in overdrive, (or the realistic view comes in to mind) and realizes that it could be dangerous depending on the person.
I know what you mean Jessica. With the kids in the car I hesitate a lot more. I have given myself the rule of only giving when Jeff is with me. Also the canned goods, while a good idea, would have to be able to be opened without a can opener.
Post a Comment