“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Theodor Geisel (Dr. Suess)
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Never would have guessed...
After I have this child my goal is to go on the no-sugar diet. Not because I think its an incredibly awesome diet or anything or that I believe in dieting, rather I will call it a sugar fast. I want to fast from refined sugar for the rest of the year, so I feel I have more control over my body in regards to the sweets department. I give in so easily when something sweet especially chocolaty is in front of me or in my home. I want to be able to say no after one or two or none at all. I don't want to eat Oreo's by the sleeve. I want to eat a serving size of ice cream, or not buy a candy bar everything single time I go to the grocery store. So I have been evaluating what has large amounts of sugar in it and what seems pretty reasonable because lets be honest there's not much out there without sugar. I might as well go gluten free. I pretty much kicked out the obvious no sweet candy, chocolate, soda, ice cream, juice, or pastry type, but I wanted to be a little more aware of my sugar intake. A friend of mine who did this diet gave her self an allowance of 100 g of sugar a day. This really focus' you in on your intake. So I am checking out things I eat every day, like yogurts, bread, jam, pasta's, and the big one, cereal. While eating my cereal dinner tonight I was checking out labels of 4 different kinds of cereal. I found some surprising results. The lowest on the list was Life Maple and Brown Sugar with 8 g per serving, then Frosted Flakes with 10 g ps, Froot Loops with 11 g ps, and the loser of the whole group was Raisin Bran Crunch with a whopping 20 g ps. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it would have been Froot Loops. The difference is I can eat one serving of Raisin Bran Crunch, but I can eat 3 servings of Froot Loops.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's something to think about...I wonder however if the sugar on the raisin bran is so high because of the natural sugars in the raisins? I know it has a lot of added sugar, but just a thought.
We miss you guys around here!
That's awesome that you get more fruit loops!
Good for you! I did a similar thing a couple years ago and I can control myself SO much better. In fact, the desire to have more than 1-2 treats isn't even there. I find that things are too sweet and I often want fruit more than another treat now. It was also awesome for getting in better shape. I always thought I would get in worse shape as I age, but just the opposite has been true (I am sure the sugar intake change helped a lot!). I hope that it will continue after this little guy is born!
Post a Comment