“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Theodor Geisel (Dr. Suess)
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Something new every day...
Many of you probably don't know this and maybe some of you do. Probably won't be surprising, but all growing up during high school, college, and pretty much a couple months into marriage, I didn't cook, bake, prepare anything Ever! The joke of "I know how to make toast, sometimes." That was me. I am not exaggerating. I just didn't find it enjoyable, I found it time consuming, and I would rather have cold cereal, which I love, rather than take the time to make eggs, bacon and toast. In college I lived off of two things, my sister's cooking, and the theatre. Popcorn, stale pretzels, slushies, and left over cookies, were a staple in my daily diet. Since being married, I have felt the responsibility to take on that role of cook. Especially after I had Evalie, I was home, Jeff was at school all day, it seemed only fair that I do my part. I have had many failed attempts concerning food over the years. Its a learning curve, when I step out into new territory I usually botch something the first time before I can get the hang of it. Jeff has eaten his fair share of edible-but-not-necessarily-good food. Sometimes he won't even eat that. I have to admit though its Jeff who is the real chef around this house. He can create foods that are so good and he just thought them up. I find making up a recipe impossible. He introduced me to EVOO and herbs and spices. We find better ways of cooking meals, we venture out a little bit. I am not a risk taker when it comes to food, but as long as I know the flavors I will try the dish. We examine the taste of our food to see where it lacks and if its one we will add into our recipes. I would like to proudly say today that I can cook. I can! Not just passable, but good food. I don't have to follow a recipe to the 'T'. I can exclude ingredients I don't have and I can replace with what I do. I am very proud of this talent I have acquired especially since today I made some freezer meals. Not a hard task, yet a domestic task, nonetheless. I know my mother and sister are completely shocked at what I have been able to accomplish. I am too at times, but always knew I could cook, I just didn't want to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yes I have been quite surprised by how good you do cook now. Sometimes I forget that you used to suck at it. You once tried to make gravy with ranch dressing but now you make some of the most delicious Thai food I've ever had. You're a great example of turning a weakness into a strength. Love you!
Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't tire from cold cereal :P -- You should send me some of your favorite recipes.... I definately need to brush up on this skill!
snedyoumybiggerclarkownbig
Post a Comment