Friday, November 21, 2008

Ins and Outs of Movie Theatre Life

One of the best decisions of my life was made when I was 16 and decided to make an 8 year (and counting) career of working at the movie theatre. The first movie I ever watched for free was "A Knights Tale" with Heath Ledger. At that moment I knew this was going to be a long and wonderful relationship with the movie theatre. Here are some stories and some tips:
One night while working at The Cordova, my last movie of the night just got out. It was something ridiculously stupid, like 40 yr Old Virgin, and since half the people were wasted before they came I knew they weren't leaving sober, but I didn't expect this... Once the credits started rolling 3 guys take off running out of the theatre, pushing people out of there way, I barely had time to see them let alone tell them to stop before I heard a crash, and see one of them just ran through my glass door, shattering the glass and leaving a bloody mess. And then the guy just starting running down the road. I ran out and got him, we cleaned him up and broken door. TIP: this is why we don't allow out side food or drink, half the time the drink is alcohol.

It was the employee preview for the last "Lord of the Rings" and yes I was going to be there without a doubt. Now it so happens that the show was going to start at 1:30 am and I have a final at 8:00 am that morning. I had studied, I was ready to go, and I could just sleep afterward, right? Come on you would have done the same thing. And yes I did watch Lord of the Rings, yes it didn't get out till 4:30 and yes I did sleep through my final. Oops! Good thing I switched majors.

Oh this one bothers me. A girl came into the Village Centre, her and her friend both had coffee's from Daily Grind they had just bought. We told them that we don't allow outside food or drink and could they please either finish drinking or discard the beverage. With a little hissy fit they enter the bathroom. Well we have learned that when we ask that and you go into the bathroom you are putting the drink in your purse, so I went into the bathroom to examine the situation. It was pretty obvious that one didn't throw her drink away because she very carefully lifter her purse off the counter and proceeded to carry it ever so gently off her elbow to the theatre. Knowing she was lying we waited till she took it out and then asked her again to please discard her drink. Heres the part that gets me, she stomped down the stairs, swung open the door and threw that drink in the garbage as hard as she could! Now she was mad, obviously, what I don't get is why, she knew the policy, we were nice. Her reaction should have been... alright alright alright, please don't kick me out with no refund.

One time 4 little girls were coming to watch a movie. One of the dads was helping them get situated. We saw them load their pockets and shoes with candy, yucky left over Halloween candy. One girl actually took off her shoe loaded it up and walked in with only one shoe on. My box office person asked if they had any candy on them. Of course, being that they are like 7 they squealed yes and dumped all the candy on the counter. Since they were the only ones in the theatre we let them take the candy, but they had to leave us some and make sure not to drop one wrapper. The dad just looked at us like, am I in trouble.

Some of my favorite things are:
People dressing up to shows, Lord of the Rings, Start Wars, Harry Potter, Bat Man on and on
Having a line that goes out the door down the sidewalk and wraps around the building.
Thinking you will never stop making popcorn and your sure you are going to run out.
Seeing movies before anyone else.
When you say "enjoy your show" and they say "you too." he he
Kicking people out.
Free Movies
Free Popcorn
Building standees, the more cardboard cuts the better the standee. (Tale of Desperaux, thats a really good standee)
Knowing movie trivia.
Late nights

Some things I don't like
Theatre drama
Being there by my self in the dark- scary.
People who demand a refund, although you told them it was full, and that they couldn't sit next to their friend, and that there were no refunds or exchanges.
People who get mad when you catch them sneaking in food or drinks.
Really bad (quality, and substance) movies.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

This was a really good post.
Thanks

The Gang said...

Yes, she is wearing her HSIBJ shirt. (As Sean would call it!) We will see you guys this week!!! :)

DJ and Melissa said...

Oh my, the theatre stories can go on and on. I'm acutally having withdrawals BAD! My favorite is even though we put signs on the windows and common sense would tell you to walk through a door when entering a building, someone walks right into the windows every weekend. One of my favorite things to do is check purses and coats before midnight shows for alcohol and cameras, but you always find some good candy. See you Wednesday!

NicKim Family said...

I love the story of the 7 year olds! That is so cute. That was a fun post to read - fun stories!